This is a casual update post, mainly so that I can keep readers informed as to what I’ve been up to, lately! You might be surprised at how long this list is…
Articles by Jesse Pohlman
– An article I wrote for TheHill.com’s Congress blog, Gerrymandering Exposed In Florida, was published on December 12, 2014. It’s about the exposure of a scumbag! What more could be better?
– On January 22nd, I received a Daily Kos Community Spotlight for an article I wrote about Saudi Arabia’s new king, Salman, on the eve of King Abdullah’s death. Saudi Arabia’s King Salman – Unexpected Innovator or Alzheimer’s-Stricken King? explored the background of the new ruler, and analyzed some of his strengths as well as weaknesses. It addressed rumors that the new king may be suffering from some form or another of dementia, a disease I know quite well, but so far no major media outlets have played this up. I’ve written other articles at Daily Kos, and I’d encourage you to check them out.
– I’ve continued to work on The Weekly Freeporter, my blog about my home-town in Freeport, New York. My latest article centered on a friend of mine, Amanda Stevens. She’s planning to interview an average of one person per year. Much like The Weekly Freeporter, there isn’t a one-per-day mandate on Amanda’s interviews. If she did seven in one day, she could rest for six days! I also found that The Weekly Freeporter is nearly five years old, and I have more than two months to do two posts in order to be “weekly” for five years!
Books by Jesse Pohlman
I’m keenly aware that 2014 didn’t feature any new releases to my catalog of published novels. On the upside, however, I have a lot of books “in the works” and I expect a lot of 2015 progress! Here are some of the details…
– I have completed a first draft for the sequel to my 2011 National Novel Writing Month smash hit, Protostar: Memoirs Of The Messenger. I’ve given it many revisions, and now I’ve put it in the hands of a beta reader or two. As soon as the beta reading process is complete and my chapter-by-chapter edits are finished, the book will be ready for publication! Then it’s just a matter of finding proper cover art, and away we go!
– In a blast from the past, I finished (today, actually!) a revision of my very first novel, Volume One of the Pillars Of The Kingdom series, The Forming. I have a few more tweaks to make to the actual document, but I intend to re-release it in anticipation of completing and releasing the final book of the series! I am still very much on the fence about how I wish to do this, however: I could put each book out independently, or I can combine all three into a single volume. The first novel alone is over one hundred and twenty thousand words long, which gives me pause as to whether or not I want to “Hobbit Movies” it (which is really “Harry Pottering” it) and split the one book into two smaller volumes. Part of me feels like that would be price gouging (two sales for one), but part of me believes I could make each read a more solid experience.
– I’m also working on fresh text for the finale of the Physics Incarnate series, which will be entitled Physics Trincarnate. I have a clear vision for the novel. The original Physics Incarnate introduced us to Emmett Eisenberg, but it was meant as a stand-alone and it demonstrated how Emmett lived without using his superhuman mastery of atomic structures until he was dragged back into the hero business. When I realized there was more to Emmett’s friend James Lowery, and a bigger story I could tell, I decided I had enough good ideas to make two more novels. I released Physics Reincarnate in mid-2013.
Other Projects by Jesse Pohlman
– My Dystopian Review series of videos and articles has been on hold for a long time. I’m really saddened by this, and if time permits in the next few weeks I’d really like to do a new one, but my personal life has precluded me from having a lot of time for sitting down and recording a good, solid video. On the other hand, maybe I’m over-thinking it, and maybe it’s the content that matters more than the production value.
– I’ve been neglecting my website (again) because anything I’ve had to say, I’ve said wherever it was it needed to be said. I don’t feel like I am adding to the site by reiterating posts I make on The Weekly Freeporter. People interested in Freeport news will be reading it there; people interested in sci-fi won’t read it, here. On the other hand, I feel like I should be updating the site more often, at least whenever I have some progress to report!